Roofing is an essential aspect of any building’s construction, ensuring protection against the elements while adding to its aesthetic appeal. Among the many roofing materials available today, asphalt shingles are among the most popular choices for homeowners and businesses. In Springfield, Titan Roofing only uses the best roofing materials, particularly asphalt shingles. In this article, we will take a closer look at how manufacturers create asphalt shingles and the components it takes to create this essential roofing material.
The Raw Materials
Every journey begins with the first step, and the creation of asphalt shingles is no exception. This process must start with sourcing high-quality raw materials. The key ingredients for asphalt shingles include:
- Asphalt: A crucial component, asphalt serves as the binder that holds the shingle’s structure together.
- Fiberglass or Organic Mat: The core of the shingle is typically made from either fiberglass or an organic mat. Fiberglass provides durability and fire resistance, while organic mats offer flexibility.
- Mineral Granules: These granules are responsible for the shingle’s color and texture. They also protect the shingle from UV rays and enhance its fire resistance.
- Adhesive Strips: These strips ensure that the shingles stick together once installed on the roof.
The Manufacturing Process
Once the raw materials are gathered, the manufacturing facility starts the intricate process of creating asphalt shingles.
- Mat Formation: For fiberglass-based shingles, a thin fiberglass mat is fed into the production line. For organic mat shingles, an organic mat made from cellulose fibers is used. This mat serves as the shingle’s core, providing strength and flexibility.
- Coating: The mat is coated with a layer of hot asphalt, which acts as the adhesive for the mineral granules and the shingle’s top layer.
- Mineral Surfacing: Colored mineral granules are applied to the top layer of the shingle while the asphalt is still hot. These granules not only give the shingle its appearance but also provide essential UV protection.
- Cooling and Cutting: The newly formed shingle passes through a cooling chamber to set the asphalt. Once cooled, it is cut into individual shingles of the desired size.
- Sealant Strips: Adhesive strips are applied to the back of each shingle to ensure they bond firmly to the roof once installed.
- Quality Control: A reputable manufacturer places a high emphasis on quality control. Shingles are inspected for defects, ensuring that only the best products reach their customers and contractors.
Advantages of Asphalt Shingles
Titan Roofing firmly believes in only using the best in asphalt shingles. Here are several advantages to homeowners and businesses in the Springfield area:
- Durability: Asphalt shingles are designed to withstand the harsh weather conditions that Springfield experiences, including extreme heat, cold, and precipitation.
- Energy Efficiency: Some shingle options are ENERGY STAR® certified, reflecting sunlight and reducing cooling costs.
- Aesthetic Appeal: With a variety of colors and styles available, asphalt shingles can complement the architectural style of any building.
- Fire Resistance: Many shingles come with Class A fire ratings, providing an extra layer of protection.
- Warranty: Each company stands behind the quality of its products, offering extensive guarantees to ensure peace of mind for its customers.
In Springfield, Titan Roofing uses the best in asphalt shingles and therefore, has earned a well-deserved reputation for working with products that protect and beautify homes and businesses. As the above factors show, asphalt shingles are a wise roofing material and we are the company that can deliver the product with excellence and knowledge. Whether you’re a homeowner looking to protect your investment or a business owner seeking to enhance your property’s curb appeal, trust us for all your roofing needs.